[digg-reddit-me]Andrew Sullivan is apparently a big fan of Obama keeping on Robert Gates at the Pentagon. Others have taken various sides. But I agree with Matt’s point: this would suggest that Obama was conceding national security to Republicans still. Matt says, “How about a Democrat?” but doesn’t suggest anyone.
I have a perfect suggestion for a Democrat who is:
- tough enough;
- liberal enough;
- has the requisite stature and gravitas;
- is very involved in defense issues;
- who has prominently challenged the Bush administration over the management of the Pentagon;
- who would be an all-star in any Cabinet;
- who has shown a proficiency for getting things done in a closed environment;
- and who would be a groundbreaking choice as Secretary of Defense.
[Image by Angela Radulescu.]
To balance out the Cabinet – and fulfill Obama’s pledge to place a Republican in a Cabinet position, and to help bring along the Republican party to Obama’s enhanced diplomacy – Obama can choose Chuck Hagel as Secretary of State.